Know Your Hair Type
Hello Curlies! Wondering what your hair type is? Try our Curl Quiz to find out!
Here's also a quick visual guide to help you along. However, as you start (and continue) your CGM journey, you may find your hair type changing a little the more you get used to using the right curly products and tools for you, especially if you've been rebonding your hair for awhile, and as your hair gets more and more used to the CGM routine, curl care specific products, and tools.
Some Reasons Your Curl Pattern May Change
1. Hair damage. Yes, it could be you! Curly hair is delicate and can become dry, brittle and loose or changed curl definition with thermal styling. Over-manipulating, or tying your hair tightly too often can also cause your curl pattern to change. In fact, even your go-to ponytail may be what’s stretching your hair and affecting your curl pattern and texture.
So, use the right curl hair ties (like the silk scrunchies we have here!) and make sure you’re keeping curls moisturized with good products for curly hair.
2. Your hair grows longer. When your hair grows, that means there is more weight on your roots. The longer your hair, the heavier it becomes. This weight pulls your curls and elongates them, which can change the texture of your curls.
It is also worth trying a stylist who understands how to cut curly hair well, to help alleviate the weight to help curls bounce back and retain shape.
3. Hormones! When the hormones kick in, it can even cause your hair to change! Hormonal changes like pregnancy, puberty or menopause can cause your curl pattern to change drastically.
The shape of your hair follicles defines your curl pattern and texture, so when your body goes through a major hormonal overhaul, it can also change the shape of your follicles, thus changing your curl pattern.
4. Health. Though much of your changing curl pattern can be helped with the right products, tools and care, there are internal factors that can lead to hair texture changes, like your overall health, stress, diet or age.
So keeping your body healthy, getting your rest, a good diet, balance, and happiness are the keys to be hydrated and nourished to keep healthy curls.
5. Genetics play a huge role in your hair and skin. The largest factor in determining your hair texture is the shape of your follicles and makes a difference in the way your hair is as well.
If for whatever reason (health, hormones, stress, etc) change the shape of your follicles change, your hair texture will change as well.